Anthem Law

Call For A Consultation (623) 526-5597

Parents must financially support their children. That obligation usually lasts until the child reaches the age of majority (usually 18 or 21 years old depending on state law) or becomes self-supporting. An order for child support may be entered during or after a divorce, and either parent may be ordered to pay support depending upon how custody is arranged. In most states, an unmarried mother may also file a petition for child support in family court, and an order for support will be entered once paternity has been established.

A parent who fails to remain current on his or her child support obligations faces significant penalties. Every state has a child support enforcement office that works with the family court to suspend professional or business licenses, take away driver and recreational licenses, require payment of future owed sums in advance, or place non-paying parents in jail when child support obligations are overdue. Because of the state specific requirements involved in child support, parents can benefit from the advice and involvement of a family law attorney at Anthem Law in Anthem, Arizona when child support issues arise.

Is There Ever An Age Where A Child Will Have Input Into Who He Or She Will Live With?

Generally, the court will not put a ton of weight into what a child wants until at least the age of 12 or 13, although there is no set standard. It depends on the maturity level of the child. The child never speaks directly to the court or the judge. Either party can request that the child be interviewed, in this case, the child is interviewed by the court’s staff. They never are in a courtroom, and they don’t meet the judge. The child’s interview is transcribed, then provided to the judge for review. It doesn’t necessarily mean the child can decide where they’re going to live, but the judge will give the child’s interview the weight the judge sees appropriate, depending on the situation and the child’s age. Read More

Samuel T. Crump, Sr.

Call For A Consultation
(623) 526-5597

We Serve Clients Throughout Arizona. Call Now For A Consultation (623) 526-5597

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U